Sunday, August 13, 2017

Second Pride Elections and Where I am at......


Some of my friends have asked me recently to consider offering for Chair of "Second Pride" board of directors during and after the event ending in early July.  I have reached a decision regarding this after much thought and soul searching regarding the request made of me by people I know and trust.

My decision at this point is not to offer at this time is for various reasons of which I will explain here.  I came to this decision without being told by others not to run or to offer but because I have to put RL first.  I will also say because of my RL training and involvement in not-for-profit organization I would be willing to do treasurer but because of RL health, I may not always be available for meetings.

I am dealing with various medical issues in RL that sometimes require significant rest to deal with my issues.  If you see me in SL and do not get a response chances are I am in another room resting trying to relax.

I will be having various surgeries in RL soon that will require extended time and rest along with time away from Second Life in order to help resolve the issues.  The most major of the surgeries is on my back.  I have been told it will be a 4 to 6 week recovery period.  Another will require a week away from things but 6 weeks of recovery.  These operations are just a couple of the major thing and could happen anytime during the next year.

I have applied in RL for full disability from the Federal Government in Canada by submitting a 25 page document with the reason why they should grant me my appeal that document alone because of the pain I am dealing with took me 48 days to complete but I got it done.  In it I highlighted the previous appeal and process they put me through was not clear nor was it transparent as no one communicated with me and they made their choice based on information they already had and had not waited until they got the other documents I told them I would be submitting.  I ask everyone for their good thoughts and wishes.

The current board of directors is up for election all the seat, the way the by laws are written not one of the current board can re-offer for election.  However, they can be appointed back to the board by those elected or offer for a position that the newly elected board makes a call for.

Some of the current members of the board have been there for a few years because no one has offered or people have resigned and the spots need to be filled.  These people over the years have put in time and energy to make this work so the LGBTQ-two spirited communities in second life can celebrate and show their pride.  There are people in SL who can for one reason or another do that.

I encourage you all to who have the strength to consider offering and filling one of the vacant seats

Being Chair is not an easy job I am sure Ledge can tell you that, I have experienced it and some of my skills were put to the test.  I look forward to a successful pride in 2018 and this time there could be new people looking after things and happenings.  I was glad to DJ 3 times at pride this year and kicking off "Canada Day" was an honor.  It was great to see it recognized during pride.

Below is a posting on the second pride website and in world group I ask you to sign up and participate, this is your community, not just mine.

Candidate statements are being taken online August 7th through Midnight August 19th. Submit a brief statement declaring your interest in the position, the skills you will bring to the job and why you want to be elected.  All Candidate statements should be submitted at https://second-pride.com/ using the https://second-pride.com/candidate-submission-form/

For further details about elections, board postions and candidate statements please go to our website 



1 comment:

  1. Love Second Pride. Look forward to 2018. That is where I got to know you. A lucky experience for me.

    ReplyDelete